How do Uterine Fibroids Develop in Women?
Fibroids are non cancerous slow growing tumors that grow on the walls of the uterus. Fibroid growth and the reason why they grow in women is not yet known. But studies say that they are certain contributing factors that can result or help in the growth of fibroids in women.
- The female hormones play a very important role in growth of fibroids. The ovaries secrete estrogen and progesterone in preparing uterus for menstruation. It is found out that fibroids contain more estrogen content than the surrounding tissues of the uterus. This has made the researchers to conclude that estrogen helps in rapid growth of these non cancerous cells. It is also discovered that uterine fibroid-tumor development during pregnancy or when she takes supplements via a birth-control product like the pill or during menopause as a way to ease symptoms. These are the time when estrogen level increases in a women’s body.
- Certain chemicals in the body can also trigger the growth of these cells. For example, Insulin helps in maintaining tissues in the body. Change in insulin level can help in fibroid growth.
- Abnormalities in the growth rate of tissues and in the blood vessels have also been suggested as a cause of fibroids.
- An increased chance of getting uterine fibroids can be based on heredity and race.
- Obesity can be another reason for developing fibroid.
- There are certain foods which we eat which causes a higher production of estrogen in our bodies like red meat, chicken, fast food